W102 – Fundamentals II: Interpretation Tools – Fall 2023-24
Beyond basic interpretation of planets, signs, houses, and aspects, this course introduces students to techniques that clarify, or modify the chart interpretation to identify major life themes. Students learn the lineage of techniques and their modern practice, plus any controversy, to better understand the diversity of traditions in the 21st-century astrology community. The W102 course focuses on modifying the natal planet expression, taking interpretation from “cookbook” memorization to nuanced and personalized interpretation.
Topics covered include:
- Explore the range of philosophical purposes for natal chart interpretation
- Compare house systems to identify those suited for regular use from other more traditional or situation-specific.
- Explore how decans and dwads personalize planet sign and degree placement
- Interpret natal moon phases and lunar nodes to reveal areas of growth
- Examine the harmonic foundation of aspects with major and minor aspects
- Identify major life themes of planets in close aspect by longitude and declination, as well as in close aspect configurations
- Personalize interpretation with sensitive points such as Arabic parts, solstice points, decans and dwads, midpoints, Aries point, and the vertex.
- Explore how major asteroids, dwarf planets, and 8 notable fixed stars add interpretative detail
By the end of W102, students will have developed the skills necessary for evaluating chart information and identifying the strengths and weaknesses of different approaches. They will be able to synthesize the core astrological components and modify information into a coherent and meaningful interpretation without relying on outside resources.
Course name: W102
Fundamentals II: Alternate Tools
Tebbs and Enid Newburg
Course length: 10
Course cost: $590
– Burk, Kevin, Understanding the Birth Chart
– George, Demetra, Astrology and the Authentic
Self, Ibis Press, FL, 2008, 304 pps.
– Hand, Robert, Horoscope Symbols, Whitford Press,
Atglen, PA, 1981, 362 pps.
*Required for the Professional Diploma
1. Week 1:
Overview & Chart Interpretation Goals
2. Comparison of
Phases (General Life Focus) and Lunar Nodes
4. Classical to
Modern Crossover – Decans, Dwads and Degrees
5. Major and
Minor Aspects as Harmonics
Aspects: Configurations and Aspect Networks
7. Aspects in
Declination Reinforce Aspects in Longitude
8. Minor Bodies:
Asteroids, Dwarf Planets, and Fixed Stars
Sensitive Points Add Nuance to the Basics
10. Open Book
Exam and Interpretation Challenge
Carol A. Tebbs,
MA. Carol Tebbs attended Whittier College earning both BA and MA degrees in
English, and shortly after, an MEd in Education. She was President of Kepler
College from 2003-2006. Her 38 years of teaching Advanced Placement English to
students receiving university credits is combined with her extensive Leadership
Team experience in a large urban school district. As three-time Accreditation
Team Leader, Technology Grant Author, District Writing Program Coordinator, and
District Mentor Teacher charged with training new teachers, Ms. Tebbs’
experience and knowledge of the many facets of higher education complement her
recent work with the College Board as a “writing assessment reader”
and AP teacher trainer.
Recognized as 1999 Wal-Mart “Teacher of the
Year”, and 2000 District Teacher of the Year, Ms. Tebbs is annually noted
in Who’s Who in Education and Who’s Who in the World.
Ms. Tebbs recently published The Complete Book of Chart Rectification. Ms.
Tebbs is also well recognized in the astrological community for over 30 years
of community service as 3 terms ISAR President and 22 years on the Board; UAC
Co-founder, Board member, Board Chair, and UAC ’95 Coordinator. Her books
include Beyond Basics: Moving the Chart in Time and Beyond
Basics: Tools for the Consulting Astrologer.
Carol is an instructor in:
Astrology in Sacred Literature: Western Traditions
Astrology in Sacred Literature: Eastern Traditions
Fundamentals II: Interpretation Tools
Fundamentals V: Predicting Major Life Circumstances
Introduction to Advanced Predictive Techniques
Practicum: Applied Rectification and Unification of Forecasting Techniques
Practicum: Advanced Rectification (6 to 24-hour search)
MA Whole Systems Design. Enid has been a librarian, astrologer, childbirth
educator, paralegal, IT and web developer and trainer, entrepreneur,
administrator, and teacher.
In 1993, Enid became involved in the dream of
creating an academic college where astrology would be openly taught and joined
the board of Kepler College. She was president of the College as it opened from
2000-2001 and again from 2007-2019. In 2013, her interest in preserving and expanding
an understanding of our astrological heritage led her to help establish the
Alexandria iBase Project.
Enid particularly enjoys introducing students to
the dynamic aliveness of an astrological chart. She is also fascinated by
astrology’s history and philosophy as well as its intersection with magic,
spirituality, and culture. She loves to teach and use astrology to help clients
find creative insights.
Enid is an instructor in:
- The Bridge Course for Astrological Fundamentals
- E520A Psyche and Soul: The Astrology of Identity
- E520B Astrologies of Soul: Calling and Vocation
- E520C The Recurring and Evolving Soul 2nd ed.
- M100 Chart Construction
- W101 Fundamentals I: Introduction
- W102 Fundamentals II: Interpretation Tools