AM304 – The Psychology of Astro*Carto*Graphy – Spring 2023-24
This course will address the unique psychological characterizations that come with Astrology Mapping.
Not only must the consulting astrologer have mastery of the technical aspects of astrology mapping, they are there to serve the client in assessing their current mapping situation, as well as the advisability of a relocation.
Some people come to an Astro*Carto*Graphy (AstroMapping) consultation thinking that their problems are only a result of where they live; while others may truly have lingered too long in an unfavorable place. Both are situations that require skilled assessment and confident guidance.
- Develop sensitivity to the issues faced by clients who are seeking transformation in their own lives. Examine how the planets impact inherent & learned behaviors, which are brought to light in the natal chart.
- Address cultural & environmental impacts when working with the client who wants true transformational change in their lives.
- Gain clarity and confidence in working with clients through a holistic approach to mapping in combination with the natal chart.
- Deepen their understanding of the possibilities that can be revealed through the practice of AstroMapping.
- Gain an awareness of how to integrate mapping lines with actual life experiences.
- Great Expectations – What people think mapping is, vs. what it actually does. An exploration of the psychological ramifications of mapping and issues that drive human behavior, such as trauma, past experiences, and futuristic expectations.
- The Natal Complex – Mapping as a reflection of the natal chart. See examples of how chart aspects and placements look on an actual Astro*Carto*Graphy map. A discussion of the Relocated Chart as compared to the driving forces of Angularity. Integration of astrological transits to the natal chart as a tool for timing and decisions related to mapping.
- Planetary Expressions through the 4 Realities – A deeper dive into Angularity as one of the secret sauces of astrology mapping. This week explores the basic qualities of the primary planets as well as how those potentials are modified by expression through placement on the Ascendant, Descendant, Imum Coeli, or Midheaven.
- Maximize Your Tools – An in-depth look at the basics and subtleties of planetary lines. This week explores refined mechanics of mapping such as Orbs of Influence, CycloCartoGraphy, Transiting lines, Midpoints and Aspected lines, and Solar Return maps.
- Happy Life – This week welcomes a guest Astro*Carto*Grapher (tba), for additional insight and experiences in astrology mapping. Discussion with this guest will include applying one’s knowledge and experiences of mapping to manifest a more fulfilling life for yourself and your clients.
Required Reading and Resources:
Lewis, Jim & Kenneth Irving. 1997 (reissued Nov. 2012). The Psychology of Astro*Carto*Graphy. London: Penguin Books.
Hathaway, Edith. 1991. Navigating by the Stars. St. Paul, MN: Llewellyn Books.
Liz Green. 2018. Jung’s Studies in Astrology. London: Routledge Publishing Ltd.
Your personal A*C*G map